Sunday, April 19, 2009

Phoenix and late start times

Congrats to Mark Martin for pulling off what we all expected he could do with his talent and the best equipment in the business. This season hasn't been what either he or HMS was looking for, but it's not over yet. I expect this victory will propel them to a Martinian strong run of consistency into the Chase. Yes I wish he would retire already and spare us the platitudes and drama, but it's hard not to like the guy.

For the first time in ages, I couldn't stay up to watch the finish. My morning 15k race (yes on foot) and afternoon baby shower didn't leave enough energy to survive the late start time after half an hour of ridiculous pre-race hype including a full-length feature cartoon film of Digger's antics. I understand playing to the left coast time zone, but a midnight or later finish on the east coast? Come on.

I understand the 88 wrecked late and the 18 hosed himself speeding on the final pit stop. But the 5 was great all weekend, started on the poll, led most of the race before I fell asleep, and the best car won. Congrats to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment