Friday, December 28, 2012

Learning My New Job

When I was asked to join the team at TMC, Inc. I was flattered. My new boss (THE TMC himself!) painted a rosy picture of fame, fortune, women and, of course, complimentary Schaefer. By all accounts, my dream job. As usual, there was more to the story.

In the last few days I've learned that I have to provide my own equipment, learn to use all kinds of websites and other technical stuff AND I have deadlines. I knew I should have gotten some of this stuff in writing.

To further complicate things, I own no computer equipment and I have neither the computer abilities required for this nor the desire to learn them. Basically, I was in this for the free beer.

Still, when you're the new kid on the block you want to make a good impression so today I hauled myself down to the bank to apply for a loan to buy a computer. I tried store financing but got laughed out when I was asked what kind of system I wanted. For the record, "That black one looks cool" is not the educated kind of answer they are looking for.

Somehow, my banker (normally an ill tempered sort with a superiority complex) fell for my pitch and wrote me a check on the spot! I think he fell for the same lie I did: Free beer. It gets guys like us all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment