Monday, October 15, 2012

October 15 - This day in Schaefer history

October 15 - Today is Schaefer Hall of Fame member Cuba's birthday!

October 15 is also the anniversary of the final career win by Dale Earnhardt. He came from deep in the field to the head of the pack in just 3 laps in the 2000 Winston 500 at Talladega. I was at Dega that day along with fellow SHOFers Philly and Paducah.

Source: Motor Racing Programme Covers
Though I was never a big Earnhardt fan, I always respected what he could do behind the wheel. I was as stunned as everyone else when he lost his life just four months later in the 2001 Daytona 500. 

Credit: DaleEarnhardtInc.com
The 2000 Dega race is easily in the top 5 races I've been fortunate enough to attend. Back in 2009, I blogged about my memories of the race - and some of the stories that unfolded after it.

And here is a revisit to the last few laps of a remarkable finish.


So while thinking of great memories from Earnhardt's final victory, the Schaefer Hall of Fame and Ring of Honor wish fellow Schaefer brutha Cuba a Happy Birthday! SCHA-LOOT!!

TMC

No comments:

Post a Comment