Monday, October 24, 2011

October 24 - This day in Petty history - part 2

1976 - Richard Petty wins his 180th career race and sweeps Rockingham for the year by winning the American 500.

Bobby W., fellow member at RacersReunion, remembers...
I planned this gala event. Me and my new wife of 3 months could go to Rockingham for that fall's 500. I was really on the ball, ordered tickets, happily got up before day, and drove the 2+ hours to the Rock. It was the most perfect day I've ever spent at a race track. Incredible autumn weather, and another dominating Richard Petty victory at Rockingham. At the last moment, my dad's friends procured tickets and planned their own trip - only they would fly. We were seated in different sections of the grand stands. I knew my dad was at the race, but I never saw him. I knew he would be thrilled that Richard had won. On the flight back home, dad's plane crashed over rural Columbus county, NC. My dad was fatally injured, but the last race he ever attended was fittingly won by Richard.
Source: Motor Racing Programme Covers
The next two photos show Richard in victory lane with Miss Winston, Pattie Huffman. A couple of years later, she became his daughter-in-law when she married Kyle Petty.

Article courtesy of Jerry Bushmire
TMC

No comments:

Post a Comment